British GT Snetterton


A podium was a fantastic result for Andrew and I as well as the team after what has been a difficult season. Saturday was the hottest I've known at Snetterton with the ambient temperature at 28 degrees. It was so hot in the car that the plastic "wing" on my helmet gave way when I attached the velcro backed comms lead to it after FP2. I spent free practice one re-familiarising with the circuit after not having been here for a while and we ended up eighth fastest which was a good start. I did a lap early on in free practice two which would remain the fastest of the session overall which I was really pleased with as it was not perfect and I was held up by a GT4 car at the Bomb Hole so I knew there was more to come. I was really looking forward to qualifying, but at the end of my first lap I unfortunately lost the rear end of the car at Coram and made contact with the barrier. I drove back to the pits but couldn't get out again which meant that I didn't get a lap in, so would start race two at the back of the GT3 field. Andrew put a good lap together in his session to put the car on pole for race one which we hoped would give us a good foundation for a result.

Andrew made a good start and held the lead until he was baulked by a GT4 car through Coram, resulting in him being passed by the closely following Griffin and Al Harthy on lap 12. He pitted two laps later to hand the car over to me and I rejoined in fourth place. This became third when the leading #2 Motorbase car clashed with a GT4 car and then second when the Von Ryan #10 Mclaren was handed a stop go penalty for a short pit stop. With twenty minutes to go I had Matt Bell in the sister TF Sport Aston right behind me and he was closely followed by Jonny Adam in the Beechdean car. I concentrated on getting the exits of the corners right and making my way through traffic to hold them off to take our first podium. Defending wasn't helped by the fact that the left hand rear view mirror was broken during the race, but I kept a close eye on the right hand one! A double podium for TF Sport is testament to the hard work that everyone has put in.

The rain arrived for the second race of the day and the spray was pretty severe starting behind a pack of GT3 cars. I got a good start and had made up six places by the end of lap one to come through in ninth. I was quickly up to eighth and closed the six second gap to the #44 Ginetta and was up to seventh with a move up the inside into Agostini, before I handed over to Andrew. As a result of the second place in the previous race, we had an additional ten seconds at the pit stop, so we dropped back down the order when I handed over to Andrew. He did well in very difficult conditions to get back to ninth before the red flag stopped proceedings eleven minutes early as the rain worsened. He had made it up to eighth but the results were counted back a lap so we were classified ninth which gave us some points to add to our tally.

Overall a very positive weekend and I'm looking forward to carrying the momentum to the final round at Donington Park in three weeks time!